Every year around this time, we find ourselves having to deal with these pesky mosquitoes. We went camping for a few days in early June; had a wonderful time. We love being outdoors and doing nature stuff. But it was mosquitoes galore, especially at night! We came back home and of course these pesky mosquitoes weren’t just in the woods, they’re everywhere.
I’ve come up with a few tricks and easy recipes you can quickly whip up to keep those mosquitoes at bay!
1) Lavender Oil as a Mosquito Repellent. I love the smell of Lavender. Mosquitoes hate it. Buy a small bottle of Lavender Oil from your local supermarket or health food store. Simply apply a dab of it on your pulse points (wrists, ankles, crook of your elbows). The sweet smell of Lavender will be sure to keep them away.
2) Rubbing Catnip, Citronella or basil leaves all over the body also works great. You can also plant citronella, Eucalyptus, Catnip in your backyard.
3) Eating plenty of garlic, although the disagreeable smell pouring out of your pores might keep people away but it would do a great job at keeping away mosquitoes.
4) Neem oil also works wonders. You can find it on amazon.com
5) Make a small infusion in a 12 ounce jar of water by adding peppermint leaves, two tablespoons of crushed garlic, lemon juice, a few drops of your favorite essential oils.
6) Lastly, if you have young children at home, I would recommend Babyganics Shoo Fly Deet Free Bug Spray. I’ve used it on my 3 years old son. It’s all natural -essential oils based- and very effective.
Written by: Sheiley Ripellino